Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Pocket Professor

There are times when I'm glad that I don't know everything. Content that my mind doesn't have that impressive mathematical power to analyze and dissect every situation and common things. I love the fact that I can look into a sea of stars and see sparkles and glitter and a shining moon. How sad it would be to only see galaxies and black holes and complicated constellations. Sometimes it's the pure simplicity of a starry night that makes it so precious.

Yet, when we come to this process called a diet, I wish I had some of that insight of knowing more than the shape, smell, and taste of food. I wish I could glance at a chefs salad and instantly calculate the calories, fat and protein hidden inside. I yearn to know if my lunch choice has the proper vitamins or if that kale can really change my energy levels.

I suppose it's time to get some schooling. Figuring out what is in the foods we put into our bodies is a major part of a successful diet. I've learned that fat free isn't always free, that sometimes light isn't right and that innocent little nibbles can turn into a giant difference.
It's work. It's that math I hated in high school. It's the balance I fail to reach in my checkbook. It's the determination that always seems to lose steam in a couple of days.

Using My Fitness Pal is like having a personal little professor. He's always there on your  iPhone or iPad, willing to give you an accurate readout of your days choices. He's that hi- tech brainiac that shows you your mistakes. He knows that slice of frosted German Chocolate cake has 643 calories -and he's not afraid to tell you so. Don't ignore him.

However, if you decide to figure all of this out yourself, then that's okay, too. Maybe your brain doesn't freeze up during simple arithmetic like mine does. Maybe you enjoy entering it all on a calculator or with pen and paper. No matter how you do it, you must do it. Otherwise, we are in the dark. We won't know what we are feeding our body. We won't win this fight.

So later, when I look up at the stars, I can enjoy their beauty. I can gaze upon a "star bright, star light, first star I see tonight" and wish that I can cross the finish line this time -and be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment